The element Earth is associated with the basic needs of living life, such as safety in our home, nourishing ourselves with food, stability in our work and finances, as well as our relationship with Mother Earth herself. Earth teaches us about the rhythms of nature and that awareness guides us into connection with our own rhythms. Earth helps to root us into the physical world, and into our bodies.
Connecting with the Earth element is such good medicine in times of uncertainty and fear. When we feel worried, anxious or distracted, Earth reminds us that at our core, underneath all of the hardship and upset, lies an inherent, unwavering steadiness. And within that steadiness, is acceptance and trust.
Earth and its qualities are a resource we can draw upon during stressful times to help nourish and anchor us. We can also build the energy of Earth in our bodies and our lives, with practices both on and off our mats and cushions.
Earth / Prithvi Practices
- Tools that promote the Downward Flow of Prana / Apana Vayu ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Postures: Forward Folds and Standing Postures; Restorative ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Breathing: Lengthen the Exhalation; Pressure Chamber Breath⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Mindfulness Tool: Feel the Bones of your Body Connected to the Floor or props, Supported by Earth⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Chakra: Root / Muladhara⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Add Earth items to your Altar or Practice Space: Stones or Crystals or other representations of Earth, Earth Yantra or Square Shaped Items
- Colors: Earth Yantra is Yellow, and Red is one of the colors associated with Muladhara – play around with what works for you ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Get outside in Nature (lay down in grass or sand if possible)⠀⠀⠀
- Bring the Outside In – with Houseplants and Flowers
I encourage you to practice connecting to Earth when fear, anxiety and insecurity arise. Lean into Earth’s qualities of steadiness and quietude to ground, calm, and nourish. And from this rooted place, you’ll build the energy you need to grow upward and outward.