Water represents our innate ability to navigate the ups and downs of life while flowing in the path of least resistance. Water is adaptable and resilient in the face of whatever lies in its path, and reminds us that we too can bend, change shape, rise up and persevere.⠀⠀⠀
To navigate the ups and downs of life requires a level of creativity. Whether we’re creating art, projects for work, creating another life, or creating the life we want to live, Water connects us to our creative well.
When we feel rigid in our bodies, or rigid in our beliefs… about ourselves, others, or the world we live in, Water can help us restore a sense of freedom and liberation in the ways we move our bodies, and move in our lives. When we feel overwhelmed by emotion, our resilience depleted, or our creative well feels as though it’s run dry, we can turn to Water to fill our cups.
Here are some ways to call upon, connect with, and celebrate the element Water:
WATER / AP PRACTICES⠀
- Tools that promote the Downward Flow of Prana / Apana Vayu ⠀⠀
- Postures: Forward Folds and Standing Postures; Restorative; Focus on the Pelvis as a whole, including the Hips⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Breathing: Lengthen the Exhalation; Chandra Bhedana⠀⠀⠀
- Mindfulness Tool: Feel the Flow of Breath, and the Sensations of Breathing; Pelvic Breath⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Chakra: Sacral / Svadhisthana⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Add Water items to your Altar or Practice Space: Representations of Water such as a bowl of water, images of Water or of a water organism like a Dolphin, Water Yantra or Crescent Moon Shaped Items⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Colors: Water Yantra is Grey, and Orange is one of the colors associated with Svadhistana – play around with what feels good to you⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Get outside in Water – if a body of water isn’t accessible, get the garden hose out and run around in it⠀
- Bring the Outside In – take a bath, and include Water features or decorations in your home
I encourage you to practice connecting to Water when emotions feel too big to hold, or when it’s difficult to understand exactly what you’re feeling, when creativity feels stunted or dry, or when there’s a feeling of rigidity in body or mind. Water reminds us what if feels like to be in the experience of flow, to tap into our creative core, and to ride the waves of life.